What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a method of physically exfoliating the skin. Dead skin cells are exfoliated and vacuumed off the face with a machine that uses tips covered in tiny diamonds. The diamond tips together with the strong suction, make it possible to exfoliate the skin more thoroughly than other procedures. With the flexibility of using different suction levels, it also increases blood flow to the skin, and that in turn helps to produce collagen.
What Are The Benefits Of Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a good choice of treatment for those with superficial skin conditions such as:
- Oily, congested skin
- Dry Skin
- Blackheads & Whiteheads
- Sun damage and hyperpigmentation
- Enlarged pores
- Superficial Wrinkles
Microdermabrasion stimulates blood flow, which increases the nutrition delivered to skin cells. This improves cell production, which improves skin’s elasticity and texture. Removing dead skin through microdermabrasion also aids penetration of skincare products by up to 50% and with a more even surface to work with, it allows makeup to go on more smoothly. It is good solo treatment but is even better when combined with other treatments such as IPL for Pigmentation, Skin Needling or Chemical Peels.
Does Microdermabrasion Hurt?
The procedure may be a little uncomfortable but shouldn’t hurt (though skin can feel a little tender afterwards).
Are There Any Side Effects?
Microdermabrasion is a very safe treatment when performed by an experienced therapist and as long as it is not done on clients with the following skin conditions:
- Active Sunburn
- Open Sores
- Fragile Capillaries
- Widespread Acne
However poor therapist technique can result in abrasions and pin point bleeding. Therefore it is important that your therapist is qualified and experienced. All therapists at Aatman Wellness & Medispa have a minimum of 4 years experience and undergo extensive training. Other side effects include:
- Skin Tightness,
- Minor Bruising,
- Skin Sensitivity,
- Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH),
- Small Skin Abrasions,
- Spots of Bleeding,
- Eye-Skin Bruising (especially if you are taking aspirin or other blood thinners),
- Fine Broken Blood Vessels (telangiectasia),
- and Cold Sore Reactivation Around Lips.
What Should I Do Before Treatment?
- Do not use Retin A or other exfoliating creams 24 to 72 hours prior to your treatment
- Avoid sun tanning or tanning creams/sprays for at least a week before treatment
- You must NOT have recently had laser surgery or used Accutane
- Clients who have had a recent chemical peel or other skin procedure, such as collagen injections should wait two to three weeks before undergoing microdermabrasion
- Clients should also refrain from waxing or tanning the skin to be treated for a few weeks prior to microdermabrasion treatment
What Should I Do After Treatment?
It’s important to take extra care of your skin post treatment as your skin is likely to be sensitive. This to do post treatment include:
- Keep the new skin clean and moisturised
- Anti-inflammatory creams or cold compresses may be used as necessary
- Use a gentle cleanser
- Trauma such as scratching or picking the treated area should be avoided
- It is important to avoid irritating the treated skin with harsh chemicals, rubbing or tanning for one week
- Although some peeling may occur in the treated areas, moisturiser should help minimise this effect
- Avoid staying in the sun for at least 7 days after the microdermabrasion treatment to prevent UV rays from damaging your skin which slows down the recovery
- Clients who absolutely cannot avoid sun exposure should use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher
- Do not use glycolic, alpha hydroxy, beta hydroxy, retinol, benzyl peroxide or topical acne medications for 24-48 hours following treatment
A clinic delivering a range of benefits to your skin
From Chemical Peels to Skin Needling, Aatman Wellness and Medispa is dedicated to ensuring that everyone can look their very best. Led and staffed by experienced members of the medical aesthetic and cosmetic industry, we deliver only the most technologically advanced, up-to-date treatments for our clients. Enquire today to learn more. Call us at our Brisbane clinics on 1300 780 257 or send us a message through our contact page and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.